Kings Canyon Unified School District is an exemplary district. The primary function of the KCUSD standard dress attire policy is to establish a safe and secure learning environment that reflects positive student choice.
Educationally Appropriate Dress and Grooming
Any apparel, hair style, cosmetic or jewelry, even if not specifically mentioned below, which creates a safety concern, draws undue attention to the wearer, or tends to detract from the educational process is prohibited unless addressed elsewhere in this regulation.
- Hats must be school site or district related and must be removed indoors
- Knit caps are allowed during cold and/or inclement weather
- Natural hair color only and no distracting haircuts (razor designs not permitted)
- Only the ears can be pierced
- Shirts/Blouses must have finished edges and be no longer than the top of the inseam. Tank tops, tube tops, halter tops, spaghetti straps, off the shoulder blouses, bare midriffs, see though shirts, oversized shirts, or any items that present a safety concern or draw undue attention are not acceptable
- Undergarments shall be concealed at all times
- Professional Teams not permitted
- College Teams titles are ok... no logos
- Appropriate pictures and text - may not promote tobacco, alcohol, drugs, sex or violence
- Holes, rips or cut offs are not permitted
- Wear at your waist
- At least a 4-inch inseam
- Skirts and dresses must be no shorter than 4 inches above the knee
- Leggings and tights must be covered by the appropriate length shirt, skirt or dress
- No flip flops, shoes or sandals without heel straps
Exception to Regulations
Generally, these neutral dress and grooming rules will be applied to all students. Religious beliefs and/or medical requirements may be grounds for an exception to a specific portion of the KCUSD Dress Code with specific advance approval from the district. A petition for an exemption from enforcement of a specified portion of KCUSD Dress Code should be submitted to the Principal.